Okay… this is going to be a kind of long one… but it is just the pictures that make it look long🙂
One of my new “what you have missed things” was that I don’t work at the hair salon. I did, however, get a new job on campus planning activities for the school! Every Wednesday night, it is my job to plan something for the night. And this week?
S’Mores!!!!! Of course🙂
My freshman year, I think that we did S’mores in the Commons like, once a week and I loved it! So it had to be my first event.
We had a very great turn out! I was surprised because I didn’t know how well my first event would turn out. I’m feeling hopeful about the rest of my events though!
For breakfast, I helped myself to a nice bowl of a cereal combo. In today’s combo we’ve got Kashi Go Lean and Kashi
Breakfast was the perfect fuel for my workout. Sadly, my ankles were killing me so I just did a casual incline walk for 35 minutes and then really killed my arms. Ouch! I’m going to feel this later😛
After working out, I headed on to class. My classes are pretty awesome. I spent an hour and a half watching an episode of X-Files in my Science class and my Religion class… well… I don’t really like that class. At all. But hey, gotta take it right?
Lunch was a nice boring sandwich with turkey, swiss, tomatoes, lettuce, and pepperoncinis at the BLUU with some frozen blueberries. I was absolutely starving at this point… my class schedule gives me awkward meal times.
I finally started an episode of Bethenny Getting Married? today and I was just laughing my heart out! She is just so bold an daring and her fiancee (or now husband) deals with her so well! I totally love it.
For dinner, we had some company at the boys apartment! My friend, Hannah, and one of my roommates, Becca, came over for some awesome dinner!
On the menu was Crispy Chicken Skewers with Honey Barbecue Sauce, Corn, Mashed Potatoes, and Mixed Berry Cobbler.
Crispy Chicken Skewers
slightly adapted from How Sweet It Is
4 large boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins, cut into cubes
3 egg whites
2 c panko breadcrumbs
1/4 c whole wheat pastry flour (or any flour)
1 Tbsp BBQ seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Soak wooden skewers in water for 15 minutes.
2) In a bowl, combine panko, flour, 1/2 Tbsp BBQ seasoning, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. In another bowl, combine other 1/2 Tbsp BBQ seasoning, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. In third bowl, place egg whites.
3) Season chicken in bowl of just seasoning. Dip in egg whites and then in the panko mixture. Skewer pieces on.
4) Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray with non-stick spray. Place skewers on rack and spray with more cooking spray. Cook 12 minutes and then flip.
Honey BBQ Sauce
slightly adapted from The Neely’s
2 c ketchup
1 c water
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
5 Tbsp light brown sugar
1/4 c honey
1/2 tbsp molasses (I just used maple syrup)
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 Tbsp onion powder
1/2 Tbsp ground mustard
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let cook approx. 2 hours. Stir occasionally.
Recipe from Cooking Light
1/4 c whole-wheat flour
4 c frozen blackberries, thawed
4 c frozen raspberries, thawed
1 1/4 c sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c whole-wheat flour
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbsp chilled butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 c low-fat buttermilk
2 tsp sugar
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine filling ingredients and put in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Let stand 10 minutes.
2) For topping, combine flours and next four ingredients. Cut in butter and add in buttermilk, stirring until moist. Drop dough onto fruit mixture and sprinkle with 2 tsp sugar.
3) Bake for 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This meal was really really good! I was surprised. It was a little laborious but totally worth it🙂